Thursday, July 07, 2005

My first township zoning Commission meeting.

Hat’s off to the zoning commission, who held an organized and coherent meeting. They answered people question and tolerated the disruption from us, who never had to deal with this process before. I felt welcome and I think they did go out of their way to accommodate us.

I’ll begin with the ATM machine at Cumberland trial. What pin head at the Bank thinks this is a good idea? Is there no ATM at Speedway? I’m sure the new McDonald/BP has one. Is the Etna Market's "Cash only line" that much quicker that you need some good old cash? Heck everyone takes Visa around here why do you even need Cash? Put one over in the new strip mall going on farther down SR 310 closer to Pataskala. I’m sure the Cumberland trail residents will appreciate it during their community garage sale. Yea, right.

People talked about the business coming in and generating revenue. How does an ATM machine bring revenue? It doesn’t. Etna Township has nothing on the books that would allow us to generate fees or Income from this. We haven’t passed an Income Tax. I don’t even think that it would fall into the suggested Income tax area.

Who go to this ATM when the Wal-mart will have one just across the street?

Now the meat of the matter, the rezoning of the Langel’s land. I’m going to try to look at both sides of this so stay with me till the end here.

Let’s stomp out this notion that people have the right to do what ever they want. You don’t. I don’t. Get over it. When you live in a society, you give up certain right to be a part of that society. Let me give you an extreme example. If I had total freedom, I can do what ever I wanted. That would include the freedom to kill people. No laws apply. I am total free. You see that also means that some one else who could do whatever they wanted could kill me. I live in a society where I give up the right to kill people and other give up the right to kill people. We also agree to lock up or get ride of people who kill people. O.K. that a very vague overview. But the point is that the Langel’s don’t have the right to do ‘Whatever they want with the land’. There laws to protect and respect others.

I’m sure the Langel’s didn’t ask for there property to be split by zoning. I don’t know that for a fact. But I’m pretty sure and I bet you are too that they didn’t ask for it. You want to talk about property value. I’m sure it not an easy sale for them to make. Can’t sell the whole property for farming only half zoned that way. Can’t sell it for business cause what business will buy land they can’t use? Can’t sell half the land because you end up with a land locked peace of property. As I look at the handout from the meeting, I can say, “The Langel’s got screwed big time.”

For those of you that are against her selling her property to Wal-mart, what would you approve to go in this property? What business would not add traffic? What business would not have dumpster that blow litter all over the neighborhood? What business isn’t at risk from being held up? You are willing to keep business off of this property are you willing to help bring the right business into this property?

I think it was Barbara Langel, who said, “We love Etna, We live here. We attend on staying here. We would never do anything to hurt the community.” I believe she meant it. I don’t agree that a Wal-mart wouldn’t hurt the community. There isn’t a sole in the meeting that thinks that traffic won’t be worse if a Wal-mart moved in. Well maybe that pin head from Dayton that did the traffic study. What the heck did he say about not impacting the rush hour? People won’t be stopping off in the morning or on the way home from work to get stuff. Wal-mart empty at 7:00 am and 5:00pm. Wake up buddy.

I already pull enough crap out of the tree line behind my house from the builders and SR 310. I shudder to think what a couple of Wal-mart dumpsters would do. Hey, speaking of trash does anyone know why the trash didn’t get pickup today?

To be continued… (It’s past midnight and I have to go to bed. I will write more tomorrow. I want to get to the pin head president of the Camber of Commerce or whatever he was and his comment cause they really got me fuming.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home